Sunday, August 23, 2009

Fearfully and Wonderfully made....

This morning at church, one of our assoc. pastor's preached the message, which was taken from Psalm 139. Most of us know that passage well, since it is specifically used in talking about when speaking out against abortion.

Well, this morning, he spent several minutes asking us if we could take a pill to change anything about ourselves....gender, nationality, skin color, other physical features, family, etc, ...... would we do so? Then he went on to talk about how GOD knew what he was doing when HE made us.....and the family HE put us in......and so on. He continued talking about how HE knows us so intimately.......how many heartbeats we've had since birth.....how many hairs on our heads......how many times our eyes have blinked.....EVERY single thing that we could possibly imagine....GOD knows. HE knows our thoughts, our words before we speak them......how we will respond to certain situations.......how we will respond to HIS bidding......very intimate things.

I sat there thinking about my son and the fact that he was born with an extra chromosome which changes things for him. Things that for me and you are normal, everyday things. Things that he can or cannot do. Things we take for granted that I have to very specifically show him, teach him how to do and hope that someday, he'll get it and be able to do for himself. Ask our preacher asked us if we would change anything, I thought about JEB and asked myself that question.....If I could go back, and change his DNA to make him normal, would I do it????? While I have had my moments of doubt about GOD's choice to make me JEB's parent, I unapologetically thought NO! I wouldn't change a single thing about my little boy. I'm grateful that GOD CHOSE us to be JEB's parents. HE chose us to be blessed by his love and his smiles and his giggles. I am soooooooooo thankful for that.

Yes, there will be days that I wonder why me? because I'm human and frail and a sinner saved by HIS Grace.....but I trust that GOD knew what HE was doing when HE chose us. And someday we'll find out why we were the parents who would be blessed beyond our imagination with a child's love......JEB's love. Isn't GOD amazing?????????

3 comments:

Adrienne said...

Lovely post!! God is amazing!! JEB was created perfect in God's eyes and he chose the perfect parents for JEB. Thanks for this post Debbie!

Kim said...

Yes He is! I feel the same way about our Mattie. How lucky we are to be her mom and how lucky for Jeb to have you!

Ria said...

Thanks Deb. I'm all weepy now thinking the same thing, ie I would not change anything about Matthew at all. How blessed we are to have the kids we do as they open our hearts and enrich our souls! How blessed are our children to have us to accept the wisdom of God!