Tuesday, December 22, 2009

it's my birthday today....

You know, when I was growing up, I absolutely hated having a birthday so close to Christmas. It seems that everyone always thought that if they got you a bigger present, then it was ok to say that it was for both - my birthday and for Christmas. I usually just said, "thank you", and smiled but you know, in my head......I was thinking, 'Yeah right. How about I say the same to you?' I don't really think they would see it the same way if their birthday was in June! BUT, nonetheless, that is what most people would do. It used to bother me, because somehow it just didn't seem fair that I would only get one gift and they would, in the end, get two.

BUT, as I've gotten older and definitely wiser, I see some of the logic in the one gift thought......not that I like it or even agree with it......but I do understand......sort of........maybe you just didn't want to buy two gifts, or maybe they couldn't afford to buy two gifts......or maybe they really believed what they were saying to me about how a bigger gift really did cover both. Oh well, my grandma always, always made sure that I had two separate gifts. She always made my birthday special. She would make me a cake.....whatever flavor I wanted.....and one year, I was into orange! I always got my favorite dinner......fried ckn and mashed potatoes......she always made my day special.

HOWEVER, I have figured out that I like my birthday being close to Christmastime because I get to share in the best holiday of the year......Jesus' birthday. I like sharing with HIM on this special time. It sort of makes my birthday the best time because HE was the perfect gift to us all. That sort of makes up for any other gift issues, doesn't it???

Happy Birthday, Jesus!! Jesus, I love you!!!


2 comments:

Kim said...

Happy Birthday! You're right. I can't think of a better person to share a birthday with! Merry Christmas too!

Tara said...

Happy Birthday! My daughter's birthday was Sunday. It's hard on the mom to celebrate so closet to Christmas, but we make the effort to keep them seperate. No Christmas wrapping allowed on the birthday presents! :) Hope she grows into the same attitude you have as she gets older.