I remember as I was growing up, every Memorial Day, taking the 1/2 gallon milk cartons that we had been saving up, filling them half way with sand, going out and cutting off peony blooms from my grandmothers bushes and filling the cartons with them to take to the cemetary and put on the graves of our relatives that had died.
Every year.....the same thing. Marnie (my grandmother) would get my brother and I in the car, sometimes my grandpa would go with us, but we'd pile in and go across the bridge to Illinois, where the cemetary was that had most of our relatives in it, and stop at each one and say a few things, say a prayer, leave the milk carton of peonies and then move on to the next headstone.
I remember my brother running around thru all of the headstones, because of course, he really wasn't interested in any of what we were doing. I would always ask Marnie about whatever relative we were at and ask what she remembered about that person. She would tell me what stories she could remember, sometimes good - sometimes not so good. She did have an interesting family.
Afterwards, we would always stop at her sister's house, Aunt Katie, and spend some time with her. I loved going to Aunt Katie's house. I went there often as I grew up and spent the night. I loved her very much. Then we would go to DQ and get ice cream ( I think that's the only reason my brother even went with us!) and then we'd go home.
It was sort of neat to remember all of those relatives and every year as I grew up, it was the same thing. I'd ask the same questions and Marnie would most times, tell me the same stories. But I loved hearing them. And now, I miss Marnie. Aunt Katie too. Marnie would have loved and adored JEB so much!!! Aunt Katie got to meet him and see him several times before GOD took her home. Marnie went to JESUS in 94, so she has only seen him from heaven. I miss them both very much on days like today.
Take a few minutes to remember relatives who have gone before you today. Especially those who have served our country. Without them and what they have done for us, our country wouldn't be free today! Say thank you to a soldier or wear a poppy on your lapel.
Have a great Memorial Day!!
No comments:
Post a Comment